Show your true colors... Abby Magruder, Pres.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Volunteering at CZC

Hello friends!

As you may know, the Lee District project this year is to support Comfort Zone Camp, a camp/retreat for children who've lost a loved one. Recently I volunteered at the camp to help with Arts & Crafts. It was an intense and rewarding experience.

There were 60 or so campers of all ages. We set up tables in the dining hall and set out lighthouses for them to paint. While we worked, we couldn't help reading the message board provided for kids to write notes to their loved ones. Some, at the bottom, were childish scrawls with heartbreakingly simply messages: "Mom, I love you." "I wish you didn't go away." As the messages progressed up the board they became increasingly enlightened. "I know you are watching me." And finally, at the top, "I'm rooting for our football team! Go Steelers!"

I actually didn't meet or work with the campers. A bit a of snafoo got the timing wrong. But just being in that room with those messages, I felt surrounded by angels and I know the messages were received.

Before I left, I made a luminary for my mom, who died in 2001. On a bright pink paper bag I wrote, "Dear Mom, I love you. I miss your chocolate cake."

I do. I left knowing my message would help light the path to the campfire. A small glowing light in the dark to help campers see their way.

If you can, please consider volunteering. They also need TONS of sharpie markers, hotel-size soap and shampoo, gift cards for children who arrive in winter with only flip-flops, twin sheets and other necessities we take for granted. God blesses any offering!

Sincerly,
Abby Magruder
First Vice President

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Julie and Celeste! We are so happy to have you join our club!

    Julie, I enjoyed your financial coaching seminar and have already put in place many of your ideas.

    Thanks.
    Sharon Goss
    Second Vice President, Membership

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comment but reserve the right to delete it. We won't edit it, but might take it down. This is a ladies group and we are conducting ourselves as such. Creeps and spammers move on. Nothing here for you.